Welcome to the School Library Advocacy Pathfinder. This pathfinder was created for school librarians and anyone who is in support of school libraries. School libraries are facing cuts to programs all over the country. It is important for school district leaders to understand the importance that school libraries have in their schools. This pathfinder is a collection of resources to help school librarians and allies demonstrate their necessary presence in schools. Above you will find links to books, articles, websites, and multimedia to help with educating all on the importance of School Libraries. Below are some key questions to consider in your search.
- Do school libraries increase student achievement?
- What studies have been done showing a link between school libraries and student achievement?
- What are students, teachers, parents, and community members saying at schools where libraries have been closed or are staffed by non-certified teachers?
- What can school libraries do to support the Common Core curriculum?
- How are successful libraries adapting to the new shift due to new technologies and a new way of learning?
- What steps can be taken to advocate for my library?
- What are some resources that I can show to my administration and community that quickly demonstrate the importance of school libraries?
Created by Kara Thompson 2013